Tuesday, January 24, 2023

The Rule of 5 Mini-Tasks for Easy Housekeeping

Lately, I've been struggling to keep my house tidy due to a number of factors ranging from just everyday life to anxiety and mild depression to trying to work from home and beyond. As a result, I've reverted back to a lot of simple, but effective, little tricks to make housekeeping easier and faster. Each one centers around the number FIVE, and you can read them (and other housekeeping posts) HERE.

Today, I decided my rule of five would center on five mini-tasks. These are the small tasks we all know we should do, but we ignore them in favor of either things that are bigger projects, bigger eyesores, or things that we perceive as being more important.
 
As a result, we end up with a build up of small annoyances scattered about our physical space and creating both physical and mental clutter. 

I get tired of walking past the same jacket over a chair back, the items on my steps waiting to go upstairs, dishtowels that need to go to the laundry, and so on. 

It takes next to no time to do these things, so why does it seem to take so many of us foreeeever to actually do them?

Enter the Rule of 5 Mini-Tasks for Easy Housekeeping. I want you to set a timer and see how long it takes you to do five tiny tasks. I'm betting it takes less than ten minutes.
 
The five mini-tasks I completed right before writing this were:
  1. Put away my coat (fully hanging it up in the closet)
  2. Emptied and put away my backpack (in the same closet as my coat!)
  3. Took two items upstairs (sweater shaver -- put in dresser drawer; book -- put on bedside table)
  4. Put away small stack of folded laundry (mostly belonged in three drawers total)
  5. Put away small amount of clean dishes (the longest task, but still easy!)
These five tasks took me just about eight minutes total!
 
To some, these tasks may seem like no brainers and so easy to complete, and maybe at times they are, but if you are suffering for depression, anxiety, burn out, and other overwhelming feelings, these small tasks can feel like huge burdens. 
 
By doing five mini-tasks rather than larger cleaning or organizing chores, you are still getting something done. If you feel motivated, continue and find five more mini tasks! Do this and one (or more) of my other easy housekeeping rules every day, and over time, you should start to see some shifts in your living space.
 
Have you seen my other easy housekeeping posts? Check them out HERE.
 
I mentioned putting away my sweater shaver -- do you use one? Should I write a blog post or film a video about using mine?

 Check out our Etsy shop and a few more blog posts:

Visit us on Etsy!





No comments:

Post a Comment